I still dont think secret filming is a problem if you do it respectfully and interestingly. The words secret filming makes it sound sorded and inconsiderate, on the contrary, its hopefully there to capture the true nature of people, in a very positive way. Surveilance cameras have another agenda, this is not that agenda. Its about trusting each other to do the right thing. People love themselves its a point of contact, like portraits, the film (which is why we are there) would not be presented without consent, but how else do you get truely natural, authentic filming, and total unawareness of "an artist" viewing you? walking around with a camera can intimidate people, but we don't question that. The idea invites curiosity, It is also recording their engagement with the piece, which is exactly what documentary films do. I really cant see the problem in this context. Im not suggesting filming people walking along the street with no interest in The gift, I am suggesting the response when the gift is open. I also suggested the reverse so we could be viewed, as an equal exchange. I dont like when NO is there before lets see. Im also not suggesting it is the only idea, again all of the other ideas can sit very well with it. if we are talking ethics
1. gift vouchers..are we buying their friendship? or are they rewards/competitive?
Can we put "Filming people when they are unaware" from the gift in as one of the ideas for us all to discus when we get together. I get your point that we should be open to all ideas and not close things down before discussing them. From my position and this is I admit from my perspective not what may or may not be ethical I have problems with filming people when they are unaware of it happening. I can see that we may capture something which overwise you wouldn't get and that many people would not have a problem with it but some people will have a problem and in the context of the commission and what we are aiming to achieve I'd be concerned about doing it. Perhaps the idea could be realised by having information which lets people know they are been filmed so they can choose to participate. I would be happier if we chucked together lots of potential ideas before working any of them up until we get together but I also accept that we all work in different ways of thinking things through - would be good to get lots of ideas flowing and talk about the filming thing when we are all tgether.
ReplyDeletelots to talk about on the 18th & still feel i need to see the place before i can gather any more thoughts. i agree with you Steve we need to make & show (kiss & tell), this is a way into the new & old community. think a good starting point is the clubs inside the center, who attends etc. & focus on stories of the place.
ReplyDeletehave never had a problem with filming or recording people without their knowledge, as this usually is best footage, but to be clear we need to to ask their permission for the footage audio to be used, a simple disclaimer is fine, never say never to anything